Friday, August 25, 2006

Wow, what a week!

Just finding the time to go online and update this has been a challenge, let alone having the time to put something coherent here. How's this for all-in-the-last-five-days?
MONDAY: Kissy Missy began a new job with CMU. The long drive over to Midland had been extraordinarily tiring, and she was somewhat frustrated with the university there. She's been interviewing occasionally for university jobs closer to home, and bingo! She got one.
This is a good job, working as student services coordinator for the online portions of CMU's off-campus program. She said her job essentially consists of keeping up with students' progress, sending reminder e-mails to them to log on, register and so on.
So in other words, she's an electronic nag?
MONDAY NIGHT: I went before the Mount Pleasant school board to pitch them on creation of a parents' group to support vocal music. Members of the board were smiling; it looks as if we'll be a go.
TUESDAY: Band members launched the first fund-raiser of the fall -- collecting empty returnable cans and bottles door-to-door. I don't know how much money they raised, but I know the back end of our van was full. Wisdom: Want to find lots of empty beer cans? Go to a house that has little trees growing in the eavestrough.
WEDNESDAY: Robert went to eighth-grade orientation at West Intermediate School. That's five years straight I've gone to an orientation session at West; I think I know Mr. Stef's speech by heart. The jolt comes from recognizing that Robert's still in middle school. I've often said he's 12 going on 42.
WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON: Saw the eye doctor, who told me I have the very, very early beginning of cataracts, but there doesn't seem to be anything else wrong with my eyes. Just another reminder that I'm old. He gave me a new prescription; Kissy Missy and I will be picking out new "Dutch architect" glasses this weekend.
WEDNESDAY NIGHT: Ran into a guy at a township meeting whom I knew years ago in Big Rapids. He recognized me, and told me I still was the best disc jockey west Michigan had ever had. I wouldn't give back those years for anything, but when I stopped understanding the music I was playing, I knew it was time to quit.
THURSDAY: Kathy did her orientation at Mount Pleasant High School. She's got Honors English and Honors Math on her schedule, and she claims to be focused and ready.
I spent the afternoon in a faculty meeting, then helped a young man who wants to be a sportwriter sign his journalism major. I have about 16 things to do to follow up on that meeting -- plus write a story for Monday.
TODAY: The first MPHS football game vs. the Midland Overachievers. Halftime -- and Zeppelin!

No comments: